Title text: November marks the birthday of Charles Schulz, pioneer of tongue awareness.
This comic is a homage to Charles Schulz, the creator of the comic Peanuts, who was born on November 26, 1922. Both comics carry the idea that when you start thinking about your tongue, you can hardly stop thinking about it. (Similarly: if you start thinking about your breathing, you stop breathing unless you consciously think to breathe.) The intention of Black Hat in this comic is for Cueball to consciously feel his tongue for the entire month of November. Since it was Black Hat's idea, Black Hat probably suffers the same consequences.
A random person on tumblr speculates that Schulz's comic has a deeper meaning about becoming conscious about one's existence in the world. This is similar, in concept, to the expression and phrase used for trolling in online communities, "You Are Now Breathing Manually".
- [Black Hat and Cueball sit in a room.]
- Black Hat: Did you know November is Tongue Awareness Month?
- [Cueball is suddenly aware of his tongue.]
- [Cueball continues to be aware of his tongue.]
- [Cueball is *still* aware of his tongue.]
- Cueball: I hate you.
- Black Hat: Enjoy the next four weeks.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!