Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Maybe mention that the whole microwave-wifi interference thing is a myth?|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
are playing an online shooter game. Ponytail calls Cueball
, who is living with Megan, and "subtly" persuades him to make nachos
and microwave ovens
both use radio frequencies around 2.4 GHz
, so Cueball's cooking disrupts her connection and allows Ponytail to kill Megan's online character.
The title text points out that Megan has only herself to blame, as gaming on wifi is more susceptible to such issues than gaming with a wired connection (e.g. Ethernet).
- [Cueball is on the phone with Ponytail, who's on her computer in the other half of a split panel.]
- Cueball: Hello? ... Oh, hey. Looking for Megan? She's gaming.
- Ponytail: I know. You know what's delicious? Nachos.
- [Ponytail clicks on her computer while talking.]
- Ponytail: When you layer the cheese so it gets on every chip... then smother them in sour cream and salsa...
- Cueball: Mm, that IS delicious. And I've got the ingredients, too!
- Ponytail, on phone: You should make some!
- Cueball: I will!
- Ponytail, on phone: Hurry.
- [Cueball is making nachos in the microwave.]
- Microwave: beep beep whirrrr
- Megan, at her computer: My wifi signal!
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
- [Ponytail who called is at her computer.]
- Computer: Boom! Headshot.
 WiFi and microwaves use the same frequency band?! a conspiracy! the machines are taking over! Xseo (talk) 09:38, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- If your microwave is interfering with your wifi then it's time to get a new microwave because your old one has a gaping hole. Microwave ovens form Faraday cages to contain EM radiation within them, and if the EM radiation is leaking that means the Faraday cage is violated somewhere. 184.108.40.206 01:00, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you, this information really improved my understanding of the joke. 220.127.116.11 01:12, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
- This is true. It's why you can stand in front of a microwave without boiling alive. 18.104.22.168 01:11, 17 June 2014 (UTC)
Actually, Sniper doesn't have a "Boom! Headshot." line ingame, it's from the meet the team vids. UT maybe? 22.214.171.124 08:03, 4 March 2014 (UTC)
- "Boom Headshot" actually was first brought up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olm7xC-gBMY -> CS?