8: Red spiders
Title text: They are six-legged spiders
The early comics often feature a style different to what would become the signature xkcd stick-figure style. This comic is the first in an arc of comics, spaced out over 3 years (so far) in which Red Spiders are seen attacking humans. Its objective is not to be funny, philosophical or scientifically interesting; it just tells a story, in a Questionable Content-type way.
The full series of Red Spiders:
- 8: Red spiders (this one)
- 43: Red Spiders 2, in which the spiders begin building.
- 47: Counter-Red Spiders, in which the humans begin a counter-offensive.
- 126: Red Spiders Cometh, in which the spiders attack a city.
- 427: Bad Timing, in which, in a style more typical to xkcd, the spiders attack a couple in the middle of a serious relationship discussion in a hot-air balloon.
- 442: xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel, in which it appears briefly in the 14th panel crawling over a cube
- [Many six-legged red spiders standing on and hanging from cuboids. The cuboids hang in the air with no visible means of support. Some of the spiders have made a bridge out of themselves.]
- This was the 8th comic originally posted to LiveJournal.
- Original title: "Spiders"
- Original Randall quote: "They're not spiders; they have six legs!"
- This was one of the thirteen first comics posted to LiveJournal within 12 minutes on Friday September 30, 2005.
- This comic was posted on xkcd when the web site opened on Sunday the 1st of January 2006.
- It was posted along with all 41 comics posted before that on LiveJournal as well as a few others.
- The latter explaining why the numbers of these 41 LiveJournal comics ranges from 1-44.
- One of the original drawings drawn on checkered paper.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!