Talk:2305: Coronavirus Polling
Wow am I first? If you want to get the public disunited, wait till you start to try to lift lockdown. Everyone has a different opinion of what to do first and when to do it! From Wales (Dis-UK) RIIW - Ponder it (talk) 20:14, 11 May 2020 (UTC)
Worth mentioning is the the last COVID poll referenced  is actually a month old as of the publication of this comic ("The poll was conducted April 10-12" - whereas the comic is dated May 11.) I suspect the 81% number has shifted in the time since that poll data was current.184.108.40.206 20:28, 11 May 2020 (UTC)MeZimm
Ummm... "...is remarkably unanimous...", etc, in the description. Isn't that like "very unique" when there it isn't the only example? ("A large proportion are unanimous, with very few others who demur" or something?) 220.127.116.11 22:13, 11 May 2020 (UTC)
- Beats me, I had to come to explainxkcd to find out who Betty White was.
I'd just like to point out that this means 24% of people do not feel positively toward kittens, 11% of people think fair elections are unimportant for democracy, and 14% of people think Kim Jong-Un can be trusted to do the right thing. 18.104.22.168 22:52, 11 May 2020 (UTC)
- That isn't quite right: all those polls included a neutral option. --22.214.171.124 05:00, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
- One can also believe in fair elections being important for democracy, but think certain issues are too important to risk 'the people' deciding them, so there's no need for a fair election (and maybe you ought to actively avoid the risk). But only 'the other side' does that, of course. If your side does something that looks like it, it's just a righteous measure to make it fair again and stop Them cheating. 126.96.36.199 07:14, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
I removed the connection between Tom Hanks and COVID-19. While it is true that he was tested positive this had no influence on the poll cited which was in 2018. Therefore it's not relevant. Elektrizikekswerk (talk) 08:11, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
- I disagree about removing it. You are correct that the poll has nothing to do with COVID but that Randall include a poll on Tom Hanks one of the first famous people who came forth telling he had the disease may have been the reason he was included. I will reinsert it, and change to make it clear that this is why it is mentioned. --Kynde (talk) 08:16, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
This is now the 25th comic about COVID-19 since the first comic in March. Wonder if he will continue to come back to this as long as there is a lock down in some parts of the US? --Kynde (talk) 14:34, 13 May 2020 (UTC)
Hmmm. I agree with all the ones on the left, but:
I almost never have Apple pie and don't care for it.
I hold no strong opinions about Tom Hanks.
I have mixed feelings about whether elections, fair or not, are the best or most important tool for democracy. Obviously they have a roll, but mass meetings for candidate selection, ability for citizens to recall bad/disloyal leaders, democratic control of the media, democratic control of the economy, public participation in legislation, and the fundamentally democratic interests of those who get elected or empowered. If those who's interests fundamentally are opposed to the people, meaning mostly the working class, seize power by ballot or bullet, your democracy is likely over in all but name. The exploiters have taken control and will strip your country of powerful democratic institutions. Not letting this happen is the most important aspect of democracy, as it is the only way to stop democracy from falling to oligarchs. Of course, that assumes you had a democracy to start with. A rather big assumption for a country built on colonial slavery and conquest and genocide of the indigenous population. Overall, it's the wrong question to ask. But I guess I agree a functioning democracy which America is not, would function significantly better with fair elections.
I DO trust Kim Jong Un to do the right thing... mostly. More than any American or European leader anyway.
The name "murder hornet" is cringy. Call them Giant Hornets if you want to avoid blaming them on the continent in which they're endemic. But yes, they're a potentially concerning development especially for apiarists, but maybe for hikers and joggers too. That being said, they're not a significant threat the way COVID-19 is.188.8.131.52 11:09, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
- 1. Kim Jong Un is objectively worse than almost every other western leader. He’s an autocrat, come on. 2. Fair elections are extremely important, even if they’re not the most important. 3. Everything else is fair. Are you pro-kitten? “That Guy from the Netherlands” (talk) 21:54, 16 May 2020 (UTC)
Really sad to see this. We Americans of all the world's people should remember more about the importance of freedom and limited government. "They'll tell us when the danger is over and lift the restrictions"... said no student of history ever. 184.108.40.206 04:07, 18 May 2020 (UTC)
What? Quarantines are already being lifted. You are wrong. This hasn’t happened before in history, to my knowledge (where a democratic government closed down society for legitimate health reasons and refused to open it up). This is just dumb.