2437: Post-Vaccine Party
Title text: [Future update] Well, someone accidentally dropped an M&M in their cup of ice water, and we all panicked and scattered.
As more and more people are getting vaccinated against COVID-19, and as the CDC has released guidelines suggesting vaccinated people can start gathering in larger groups, there is increasing excitement about the possibility to resume get-togethers, and have a party. However, being very cautious, Randall is cutting down the scope for his first "post-pandemic" party from that of a normal party. Not all of the scope reductions make sense. 
- Instead of interesting alcoholic and sugary beverages, he's reducing scope by serving plain ice water.
- Instead of serving the ice water in ordinary-sized cups, he's further reducing scope by serving it in small cups.
- A person holding an ordinary party might provide large quantities of foods of various sorts. Randall is reducing scope by serving only two types of food, M&M's and saltine crackers.
- He is further reducing scope by limiting the quantities: each guest will be provided with three individual pieces of candy and one single cracker.
- Instead of regular music, Randall's party has less-exciting ambient music.
- Karaoke has been eliminated completely.
- The big-screen TV has been reduced to a standard TV, and instead of showing active and exciting sports games, it will show mellow painting lessons by Bob Ross.
- Board games require strategy and could be exciting, so Randall has replaced them with 52 pickup, a game with neither quality. Having already downsized to a single game, he further reduces the scope by reducing the number of cards involved from 52 to 3.
- His original notes indicate that the party might include both video games and ping pong, but he has reduced scope here as well by merging these activities and offering only a single video game, the ancient Pong game.
- Finally, while conversation will be allowed, Randall is reducing scope by reducing quality. This element of the party plan is qualitatively different from the others because it's generally the guests themselves that provide the majority of the conversation at a party, so it's possible that Randall is simply acknowledging the effect that the pandemic has had on peoples' ability to converse normally.
The title text mentions that in the end, despite Randall's efforts, even the incredibly mild disruption of an M&M's falling into a cup of water caused the party-goers to panic and flee, much as Cueball and Ponytail did in a similar situation.
- [The comic consists of four underlined headings, two by two grid, with three or four lines of text beneath each. Almost all of the original lines of text have been fully or partially crossed out (marked with <del> below), and five new items have been added (marked with <ins> below), plus some brackets and one arrow. Even one of the added items has been modified.]
Big screenTV showing sports
- Video Games
PingPong [A red arrow points from "Video Games" to "(Pong)"]
- [Caption below the panel:]
- We're planning our first post-vaccine party, but we want to start slow.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!