Title text: Day six: 'The hell? Who mails a bobcat?'
Cueball wrote a script that searches online shopping sites for items that cost US$1 with free shipping. Because the script is programmed to use an account with a $365 balance, this script will buy one random item per day for a full year. Megan comments that Cueball might just end up with "lots of crap" but he replies that he might get something interesting.
Over five days the script orders a length of rubber hose, a ski mask, a bear trap, a map of The Pentagon and "lube" (sexual lubrication). This pattern prompts Cueball to stop the script out of fear of being placed on a FBI watch list; to a paranoid passerby, the purchased items make Cueball look like a terrorist who plans to kidnap and torture federal employees. And also a pervert; such a contrast is considered funny.
- [Cueball is sitting at his computer.]
- Cueball: I love getting packages.
- [Megan enters and Cueball turns towards her.]
- Cueball: I set up a script to search eBay et. al. for $1 items with free shipping.
- [Cueball comes home with a backpack on his back and find a package waiting for him on his doorstop.]
- Cueball: I gave it $365, so each day it can buy me something random.
- [Cueball, again sitting at his computer.]
- Megan (off-screen): What if you just end up with lots of crap?
- Cueball: I'll give it away.
- Cueball: But I'm sure I'll end up with some interesting stuff.
- [The next five panels have a caption in a black frame at the top. The caption is written first for each panel. In the first panel Cueball has unpacked a hose. The paper lies in tatters on the floor. Megan stands next to him.]
- Day 1: Length of rubber hose
- Cueball: Could be handy around the house.
- [Cueball stands with a black item and the torn paper it came in. Megan looks on.]
- Day 2: Ski mask
- Cueball: It's spring, but hey.
- [Cueball is standing alone with a bear trap and the box it came in on the floor.]
- Day 3: Bear trap
- Cueball: Huh.
- [Megan is back as Cueball looks at a piece of paper that came in an envelope.]
- Day 4: Tourist map of the Pentagon.
- Megan: Uh oh.
- [Cueball is standing alone with a tube in one hand and the box it came in in the other hand.]
- Day 5: Lube
- Cueball: I'm stopping this before I end up on every F.B.I. watch list ever.
Someone has set up an actual service inspired by this comic, which does exactly what this comic describes.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!