Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
The title text explains the comic. An anthropomorphic number 70 is blown into its prime factors (2, 5 and 7). Prime numbers are numbers which can not be divided by any number other than itself and 1. Factors of a number are numbers which can be multiplied together to produce that number (2x5x7 = 70). 70 has other factors, including 1, 10, 14, 35 and 70, but 2, 5 and 7 are the only factors which are prime. All other factors of 70 (other than 1) can be formed by multiplying two of the prime factors together.
- [A black number 70 sees a red package.]
- 70: hey, a package!
- [The package explodes with a BOOM and an brown cloud of smoke.]
- [There are a red 7, a green 5 and a blue 2 lying near a scorched mark on the floor.]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
No 70s were harmed in the making of this comic. Davidy22[talk] 14:06, 8 January 2013 (UTC)
Also, the 70 is black, and, in a subtractive colour system, black = red+green+blue. 18.104.22.168 19:14, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- ... or rather black = magenta+yellow+cyan (red, green, blue are used in additive colour system), I suppose. Then again, who has magenta, yellow, cyan pens available during a boring lecture? Hagman (talk) 22:26, 2 November 2015 (UTC)
- No it is the subtractive color system that is refereed as the additive ends up white. But true about the colors, but when mixing the primary colors magenta+yellow+cyan two by two you get red, green, blue, which would then in that system also mix to black! Have added this to the explanation. So thanks to both of you. --Kynde (talk) 18:18, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
I always read the factors and as 7, 5, and N. Then I realize N must be 2, and finally that it's literally 2. 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)