This comic is a reference to how an internet browser will make the links of the pages that you have visited a different color than the links that you have not visited. In the case of Wikipedia and other wikis powered by MediaWiki, they are blue for non-visited and purple for visited. In this comic, Randall is ashamed of the pages he has visited, because with the color changes there is evidence of what he has visited in the past, e.g. autoerotic asphyxiation (possibly while researching 682: Force, which features that very Wikipedia page).
Also the pages that he did visit before are in great contrast with the pages that he hasn't. Pages he didn't click are often difficult, highly intelligent topics, while he only clicks the easy, funny articles with little scientific background on the Wikipedia site.
The title text refers to a common mistake many people make when reading articles on Wikipedia. Words referring to subjects that have an article on Wikipedia are coloured in blue. This, however, can cause confusion when two words leading to two separate articles appear together, as the two links appear to be one. However, on hovering the cursor over the article link, only one word at a time is underlined, showing that the links are separate.
It is not possible to determine who this fake article is supposed to be about, but the Macarena band is certainly from Dos Hermanas, Spain. So, it is quite possibly a made up article from Randall.
- [the following is in the standard format of a Wikipedia article, modified to reflect the content of the comic.]
- ...and was a pioneer of literary social realism.
- He was born in Dos Hermanas in the Andalusia region of Spain (not to be confused with Andalasia[link clicked.], the kingdom in Disney's Enchanted[link clicked]), which is also the hometown of Macarena[link clicked.] band Los Del Río[link clicked.],
- His third novel, set during the Burmese-Siamese war, marked the start of a lifelong interest in the history of Southeast Asia. He spent his later years in Thailand, writing his his final novels just a few blocks from the hotel where actor David Carradine[link clicked.] died of Autoerotic Asphyxiation[link clicked.].
If I go for a while without clearing my browser history, I start getting embarrassd by which words on Wikipedia show up in purple.
- In the caption of the comic, embarrassed is spelled incorrectly.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!