Talk:2377: xkcd Phone 12
Is there any way to install the Vengaboys feature on my own phone? It's pure genius
- (Above unsigned comment was clearly being replied to by the following. Tidying up by moving my own signed comment about coatings.) 188.8.131.52 12:39, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- Perhaps by taking data from infrared sensors and microphones, an app could automatically start the song? Might have some interesting copyright issues, tho idk how those things work … 184.108.40.206 23:57, 26 October 2020 (UTC)
If it's coated for easy swallowing, perhaps it's actually a tablet... 220.127.116.11 22:50, 26 October 2020 (UTC)
- Now officially entered in Explanation. 18.104.22.168 12:39, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- This could be a reference to the recently-released Animaniacs reboot trailer, where the Warner kids are shown a tablet (probably an iPad) that looks like it's on Wikipedia and told that it contains the sum of all human knowledge. Yakko then takes the tablet, puts it in a comically large glass of water, swallows the water and tablet in one gulp, and then seems to have absorbed all of the knowledge. Duraludon (talk) 17:34, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
The 600LB magnet doesn't weigh 600 pounds, it's strong enough to hold 600 pounds. And if you used the interlocking feature, and it doesn't explode, you'd never be able to pull the phones apart. Mikemk (talk) 01:42, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- I just looked up 600 lb fishing magnets on Amazon.com. They weigh a couple lbs. Barmar (talk) 05:05, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- From what we've learned about xkcd-Phones so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the magnet actually weights 600 lb. 22.214.171.124 11:23, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- yes, the text is ambiguous if the 600lb is force or weight. And, if it's weight, it would explain the need for a drivetrain to move it, and a shipping container to ship it.
- How much does the magnet cost? 600₤?
John MacAfee fled Belize (and the Belize police) when he was wanted for questioning as a “person of interest” in the murder of Gregory Viant Faull. I suspect that that is part of why Randal posits an attack from John MacAfee (and defense from Peter Norton, who (unlike John) hasn’t completely lost his mind). I think he is also on the run from Spanish authorities for tax evasion.126.96.36.199 04:33, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- I think there should be some explanation of who these people are. I could assume that they're the founders of the companies of the same name, or look it up, but the explanation should probably mention it. Angel (talk) 12:44, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- Isn't it "McAfee", not "MacAfee"? Or is there an unknown menace named MacAfee that we need to be warned about? 188.8.131.52 13:30, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
The tactical helium reserve might prove problematic if the phone uses MEMS for timekeeping.
- (Great link, but unsigned...) Helium's a wonderful substance. Everyone speaks highly of it! 184.108.40.206 12:39, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- See comment (nearly) at top of Talk. Also you may have missed the change I made which then momentarily vanished due to someone's overzealous manual reversion but now is restored. Enjoy. ;) 220.127.116.11 12:54, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- (I seem to be IP-hopping. I was the "Tweaks and Buffs" author/restorer consistently on 141.*, not the "I'm an idiot" one on 162.* but here in comments I'm appearing as 162.* both before (inc. last night) and after. - Probably something to do with Cloudflare. It's always something to do with Cloudflare! Any guesses what my IP sign-off will be this time???) 18.104.22.168 13:09, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
Possibly, to note, Thermal Paper, as what is used by the Gameboy Printer, has high quantities of BPA. Running gag? Also, atmospheric helium temporarily makes IPhones not work, due to mems device issues. https://www.cnet.com/news/iphones-reportedly-malfunctioning-after-helium-exposure/ 22.214.171.124 15:24, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
Vengabus increasing volume as a method of behavior discouragement has been referenced on the podcast My Brother, My Brother, and Me episode #398. Randall Monroe is a listener and a one-time guest on the program, and this line may be in reference to this segment.
Retro gaming is becoming more popular, could the joke of GameBoy Printer compatibility be that compatibility with a regular GameBoy might actually be a desired feature?126.96.36.199 01:53, 28 October 2020 (UTC)
Coated for easy swallowing could also be a reference to this anti-swallow coating: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/02/nintendo-switch-game-cartridges-taste-bitter 188.8.131.52 09:43, 28 October 2020 (UTC)
Could somebody finish off that "Given that Closed timelike curves are usually associated with solutions to general relativity that allow for time travel...", or at least alter it so it isn't trailing off? 184.108.40.206 10:39, 28 October 2020 (UTC)
Hey, if the phone has a 2x safety factor, and the phones depicted in the comic are next to each other, wouldn't this be a picture of something moments before disaster?
Alternative explanation for '"The only phone you'll ever own"®™️' could be that future phones are either expected to become Mobile Device As A Service, or alternatively so highly locked-down into a proprietary eco-system of technology that your 'ownership' of the device in your hand becomes moot. From yet another sharer of a CGNAT ip address 220.127.116.11 18:13, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
- I thought it was a reference to the "Closed timelike curves": once you own this phone, you own this phone. 18.104.22.168 10:37, 30 October 2020 (UTC)