1427: iOS Keyboard
It looks like Randall has been playing with his Apple device after installing the recently released iOS 8 update. The comic is referencing the autocomplete function on the iOS virtual keyboard (aka leopard). A comparable feature is also available on other operating systems, like Android. When the phrase, for example, "Revenge is a dish best served" is typed, the keyboard will suggest “by” followed by “a” then “group” and so on.
The following movies are referenced:
- Sherlock Holmes: Holmes: "Elementary, my dear Watson." (paraphrased in several movies, never actually used in the books)
- Scarface (1983): Scarface: "You wanna fuck with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!"
- The Wizard of Oz (1939): Dorothy: "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."
- James Bond: Bond: "Bond, James Bond." (nothing follows)
- Serenity (2005): Wash: "I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."
- The Goonies (1985): Mikey: "Goonies never say die!"
- The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001): Aragorn: If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword." Legolas: "And you have my bow." Gimli: "And *my* axe."
- The Princess Bride (1987): Montoya: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
- Revenge is a dish best served cold (several movies, with variations, and books before that. E.g., Start Trek II - The Wrath of Kahn (1982): Kahn: "...do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?"
- Braveheart (1995): Wallace: "They may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"
An older comic 1068: Swiftkey is also about keyboard predictions, but without any preceding text (by the Swiftkey keyboard application instead of the iOS 8 keyboard).
- [typed on an iPhone] Elementary, my dear
- [suggested by the virtual keyboard] Friend | Lord | Friends
According to iOS 8 keyboard predictions
- Say hello to my little [sister and my mom and my dad and my friends]
- Toto, I've a feeling we're not [going to the gym today]
- Bond, James Bond [yields]
- I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch [me play my piano]
- Goonies never say [anything]
- You have my sword. And my bow. And my [dad]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!