1427: iOS Keyboard
It looks like Randall has been playing with his Apple device after installing the recently released iOS 8 update. The comic is referencing the autocomplete function on the iOS virtual keyboard. A comparable feature is also available on other operating systems, like Android. When the phrase, for example, "Revenge is a dish best served" is typed, the keyboard will suggest “by” followed by “a” then “group” and so on.
The top of the comic, where the keyboard is shown, is a reference to the character Sherlock Holmes, a detective who is often attributed the famous line "Elementary, my dear Watson" (despite having never said that in the canon). In Randall's typing history, the word "dear" is most often followed by "lord", "friend", or "friends," and thus the phone suggests those words as a likely continuation of the line.
The title text continues, by showing more actual results from keyboard predictions from other movie quotes.
The following movies are referenced in the comic and title text:
|Movie||Character & Situation||Full Quote||iOS Keyboard Version|
|Scarface (1983)||Scarface is holding an M16, defending his house from Sosa's gunmen, shouting to attackers.||"You wanna fuck with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!"||Say hello to my little sister and my mom and my dad and my friends|
|The Wizard of Oz (1939)||Dorothy with her dog, Toto, in Munchkin land.||"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."||Toto, I've a feeling we're not going to the gym today|
|James Bond||Bond introducing himself, while holding trademark martini.||"Bond, James Bond." (nothing follows).||Bond, James Bond yields|
|Serenity (2005)||Wash, at the controls of Serenity.||"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."||I am a leaf on the wind - watch me play the piano|
|The Goonies (1985)||Mikey standing at the pool in the wishing well, encouraging his troop of misfits to continue on their journey.||"Goonies never say die!"||Goonies never say anything|
|The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)||Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli pledge allegiance to protect the ring bearer on their mission to destroy the ring.||Aragorn: "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword." Legolas: "And you have my bow." Gimli: "And *my* axe."||Aragorn: "You have my sword." Legolas: "And my bow." Gimli: "And my" dad|
|The Princess Bride (1987)||Inigo Montoya facing the six fingered man, the man he swore a vendetta against for killing his father.||"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."||Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You are the best. The best thing ever.|
|Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)||Khan paraphrasing Shakespeare to justify his vengeance.||"Revenge is a dish best served cold" (e.g. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982): Khan: "...do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?") The quote is not originally from Star Trek but was used already in 1967 in Death Rides a Horse but it is likely that it is the Star Trek reference that is best known to Randall as it is also referenced as a Klingon proverb in Kill Bill: Volume 1.||Revenge is a dish best served by a group of people in my room.|
|Braveheart (1995)||Wallace rallying his Scottish army before a seemingly hopeless battle against the English.||"They may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"||They may take our lives, but they'll never take our money|
An older comic 1068: Swiftkey is also about keyboard predictions, but without any preceding text (by the Swiftkey keyboard application instead of the iOS 8 keyboard).
It is similar to 2169: Predictive Models.
- Movie quotes
- [Top picture shows a line typed on an iPhone.]
- Elementary, my dear
- [Then the next line shows the words suggested by the virtual keyboard.]
- Friend | Lord | Friends
- [Below are the visible part of keyboard. In the second line only the top of the letters can be seen.]
- [Below is a new sub heading above six pictures arranged in two rows.]
- According to iOS 8 keyboard predictions
- [For each of the six pictures a part of the text is black, and the other part is light grey. Below the black text is written in bold letters.]
- [Picture 1: Cueball stands with a machine gun.]
- Cueball: Say hello to my little sister and my mom and my dad and my friends
- [Picture 2: A girl stands next to her dog with a basket.]
- Girl: Toto, I've a feeling we're not going to the gym today
- [Picture 3: Bond talks to Megan.]
- James Bond: Bond, James Bond yields
- [Picture 4: A pilot operates his plane and talks to Cueball behind him.]
- Pilot: I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me play the piano
- [Picture 5: A guy with dark hair stands behind a jagged edge.]
- Goonie: Goonies never say anything
- [Picture 6: A dwarf with long beard and helmet stands with an axe.]
- Off panel left: You have my sword.
- Off panel right: And my bow.
- Dwarf: And my dad
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!