2718: New Year's Eve 2023
|New Year's Eve 2023|
Title text: [Earlier, at the eye doctor] 'No, for the last time, the numerals on the paper aren't my prescription, it's the shape I want you to make with the laser.'
New Year's glasses are novelty eyeglasses typically worn at New Year's Eve parties, shaped like the digits of the upcoming year. They were popularized in the late 1990s and early 2000s since the middle digits (9 and 0) had holes large enough to look through or mount lenses into.
Ponytail, White Hat, Megan and Cueball are at a party. The first three are wearing novelty glasses in the shape of the numerals "2023", representing the upcoming New Year. Cueball has chosen to obtain cosmetic laser eye surgery instead. Usually, such procedures are intended to adjust a patient's corneas to correct vision problems, as an alternative to glasses and contact lenses. Cueball has apparently had the digits 2023 etched into his eyes as an alternative to wearing novelty glasses. While scleral tattooing is performed for cosmetic reasons, and corneal tattooing for both cosmetic and vision benefits, the efficacy and safety of either process is not universally accepted. The laser procedure has damaged Cueball's vision so much that he mistakes a newcomer to the party resembling Hairy as Rob. Realizing he made a mistake, his second guess is that the new arrival is named Mike.
In the title text, an earlier conversation with his ophthalmologist has established Cueball's problems are due to the laser burning the digits straight onto his eyeballs, without regard to endangering his vision. Most previous depictions of Cueball have not shown him wearing glasses. Laser eye surgery was referenced along with other laser equipment in 1681: Laser Products.
|This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.|
- [Ponytail, White Hat, Megan, Cueball, and Hairy are standing around. Ponytail, White Hat, and Megan are wearing glasses in the shape of the number 2023 and holding party-related items. Hairy is on the other side of Cueball from them and is only carrying some item of clothing, probably a recently removed coat. Cueball carries nothing, and his attention is on the new arrival, possibly having to squint at him, as depicted by a set of short radial lines projecting away from where Cueball's eyes would be if they were ever drawn.]
- Cueball: Hey Rob! Or, uh...
- Cueball: Sorry, is that Mike?
- [Caption below the panel]:
- I'm regretting my New Year's Eve novelty "2023" laser eye surgery.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!