Joe Biden is the Vice President of the USA. The comic is saying that experiencing anything for a long period of time would make anyone a snobby connoisseur, even pictures of the Vice President eating a sandwich.
As far as the title text, Randall’s saying that the more time we spend with something, the more prominent it is in our brains, so the more dramatic minor differences seem.
- [White Hat is standing with Cueball. They each hold a wine glass in one hand, White Hat is holding a bottle of wine in the other. He looks at the label.]
- White Hat: How do you stand this cheap wine?
- Cueball: Wine all tastes the same to me.
- [Close-up of White Hat.]
- White Hat: You've just never had good wine. If you paid more attention, you'd realize there's a whole world here.
- [Close-up on the other man, who spreads his arms, sloshing his wine slightly.]
- Cueball: But that's true of anything! Wine, house music, fonts, ants, Wikipedia signatures, Canadian surrealist porn—
- Cueball: Spend enough time with any of them and you'll become a snobby connoisseur.
- [This panel has no border and is next to but aligned further down than the first three panels.]
- [The full frame of the two characters again. White Hat now has the bottle at his side.]
- White Hat: But some things do have more depth than others.
- Cueball: If you locked people in a box for a year with 500 still frames of Joe Biden eating a sandwich, by the end they'd be adamant that some were great and some were terrible.
- White Hat: You're exaggerating.
- Cueball: Oh yeah?
- [This panel is below the others, and is indented about a third of the way to the right. It is wide.]
- A YEAR LATER:
- [A box. Voices emanate from inside.]
- Voice #1: Sure, most closed-mouth frames are boring, but in #415, the way the man's jaw frames the mayo on his hand is pure perfection, and—
- Voice #2: What a surprise- you praising a mayo frame. Listening to you, I'd think there was nothing else in The Sandwich. Frankly, the light hitting J.B.'s collar through the lettuce would put #242 in my top ten even if he had no mayo on his hand at all.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Well he's right about fonts. I am hooked on Operator Mono, which costs like $200-300 if you purchase it legitimately 😗 ... --184.108.40.206 08:51, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
Let's face it: every wine connoisseur is an alcoholic. You have to drink a lot of wine over a long period of time to begin distinguishing all wine-types, flavors etc. Rule of nature. No discussion. 220.127.116.11 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- I hope you were drunk at least when you said this 🍻 --18.104.22.168 08:51, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
This is one of those xkcd comics that I'm just constantly linking back to as an image retort. I love Randall. Davidy²²[talk] 01:28, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
I expanded the explanation and removed the incomplete tag. 22.214.171.124 14:47, 5 December 2013 (UTC)
The current incomplete tag asks why voice 1 calls Joe Biden "the man" and voice 2 calls him J.B. As far as I can see, there is no deeper/cryptic meaning to the choice of these words, other than possible space saving. Both 'J.B.' and 'the man' are shorter than 'Joe Biden'. I personally don't believe that this requires any further explanation, but I will leave the incomplete tag for now. If there are no updates to the page or additional discussion here, I will remove the incomplete tag in due course. --Pudder (talk) 13:06, 30 July 2015 (UTC)
- The stars are named Joe Biden, though. Hmmmm... RedHatGuy68 (talk) 05:20, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
This could be another 242 reference; the explanation to 903: Extended Mind describes Randall's use of 242 as an old inside joke, ãnd 242 also appears in 688: Self-Description. Pelosujamo (talk) 20:07, 5 February 2017 (UTC)
How can it be a reference to 1051 if it came before 1051126.96.36.199
- I don't see how there is a reference between these to comics anyway. especially regarding canadian surealist porn. Closest thing in there is Autoerotic Asphyxiation... I'm gonna delete that there is this reference Lupo (talk) 18:48, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
- Upon looking at it again to reread it, I notice, that the reference is not in the comic, but the explanation, as canadian surrealist porn is not a wikipedia link, but 3 of them for canada, surrealism and porn, which is basically the title text from 1051. Gonna delete it anyway, as it has no relevance. Lupo (talk) 18:50, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
All of us are connoisseurs of Randall Monroe eating a sandwich while drawing more comics.
canadian surrealist porn ughghghghg https://xkcd.com/1051/ title text