Adding the title text to the transcript
- The transcript includes the whole comic, so I believe it should include the title text. Beanie (talk) 14:08, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Also, I don't have a whole lot else to do. Beanie (talk) 14:30, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Hi there Beanie, thanks for all your contributions to explain xkcd! Just wanted to mention a couple things before you continue your ambitious project of adding the title text to all the transcripts, in case this saves you a bit of effort.
- Currently, I believe the site policy is to not include the title text in the transcript, as mentioned in the Editor FAQ.
- There was recently a brief discussion about it in the community portal. As I understand it, the rationale for the transcript is to include a textual representation of the graphical text in the comic (so that it can be searched, for example); but the title text is already represented textually (below the comic image), so for this purpose it would be redundant in the transcript, and I believe that's the reasoning behind the current policy.
I, for one, certainly appreciate the title text that Randall adds to the comics; but FWIW, even according to Randall himself in his talk at Dartmouth College, the joke in the title text should never be critical to the main joke in the comic – i.e. the comic should work on its own, even if the title text didn't exist. I'm not saying you can't add the title text to the transcript, nor that you shouldn't – for instance, as you mentioned, maybe the title text ought to be considered as part of the comic, and so maybe it should be included in the transcript. But just letting you know that the current policy is to omit it, so you might want to discuss it in the community portal and make sure everyone's on-board before putting in a bunch of effort on it, only to have someone else come along and undo all your hard work. Cheers, and thanks again for all your contributions to the site! – Yfmcpxpj (talk) 03:36, 12 March 2021 (UTC)
Nice with the Knit Cap page, however, during the time of the Lorenz comic it was agreed upon in this community that Knit Cap was a woman in that comic! So I disagree with the page you made calling her a he... --Kynde (talk) 13:17, 7 July 2021 (UTC)
- But the official transcripts said 'a guy in a knit cap' D: Beanie talk 13:21, 7 July 2021 (UTC)
It is actually a perfectly cromulent word...
Keep going, if you want. I find it awkward on this device to put in mdashes (except by using "—", which is inefficient), so I'll hyphen it and accept someone converting it later. Not that you've changed any that I recognise as being mine, originally, yet. And you're preserving the spaces... as long as you don't convert legitimate "…this - and that…" to "…this—and that…", I'm happy. ;) 188.8.131.52 01:20, 25 February 2022 (UTC) (PS., I'm also the guy who wrote the above section. :-p I'd forgotten I'd told you that, but I see you continue to be of good humour!)