935: Missed Connections
Title text: The Street View van isn't going to find out anything Google won't already know from reading my email.
Missed Connections is a page on Craigslist in which people who saw each other briefly and want to reconnect attempt to find each other again. In the case of missed connections, one person describes themselves "Me" and describes the other person "You" in order that the second person would recognize themself and try to reconnect.
The first one appears to be a goofy joke, although there have been many Wienermobile incidents in the past. Given the timing of this comic, one can't help but wonder if it might also be a pun referencing the then recent resignation of Rep. Anthony Weiner over tweeting pictures of his, well, wiener with his mobile device.
The third one is a reference to networking. UDP stands for User Datagram Protocol. UDP packets don't use handshaking to verify they have contacted the correct host, so they can get lost or confused. The Cisco router location is just a reference to a block of IP addresses. Cisco is a company that makes networking equipment. This is a play on a missed connection for someone who was lost and asked for directions.
The fourth one seems to be a joke as well. Nancy Pelosi is the Democratic Leader of the US House of Representatives. The acronym (D-CA) is a common notation for politicians which notates party (D for Democrat) and state (CA for California). The joke is that, as a more liberal female (and grandmother) Democratic elected official, she is not exactly the type of person one would expect to be trying to reconnect with a follower of the rather unpolitically correct Insane Clown Posse she glimpsed across the room at a party.
The fifth is a straightforward joke. One of the two people getting married was so distracted by his phone he has no clue where his wife (or husband) is now, or even who they are.
The sixth is a reference to how the Google Street view van was not only recording photos of the street in 360 degrees, it was also collecting data from unencrypted Wi-Fi networks. The comic takes this to the next level, that the Google Street View van also scans what we have in our pockets and does a retinal scan. In this case, the social security number referenced is the most used SSN of all time. The retinal scan takes this even further, indicating that Google's cameras are collecting fine enough images to identify people by Retinal scan.
The last suggested the Babe Ruth, the American baseball slugger of 1914-1935 is actually a Time Lord. Time Lord is a reference to the popular sci-fi series "Doctor Who" in which The Doctor, who is a Time Lord, uses a TARDIS, which is a time travel machine. Possibly because he was a baseball player "ahead of his time".
The title text is a reference to privacy concerns surrounding google street view, to which Google responded by claiming that the street view camera wouldn't capture anything that someone walking by wouldn't be able to see.
- [The page is set up like the missed connections area of Craigslist, with a list of messages from an individual to a person they weren't able to communicate with at the time.]
- Personals > Missed Connections
- You: Clinging to hood of your stolen wienermobile, trying to reach into engine to unstick throttle
- Me: Screaming, diving out of the way
- You: Vaguely human silhouette
- Me: At bottom of wishing well with harpoon gun
- You: Confused UDP packet
- Me: Cisco router in 45.170/16 block
- You: Baddest fuckin' Juggalo at Violent J's party
- Me: Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca)
- You: Getting married to me
- Me: Also getting married, but distracted by my phone
- You: Cute boy on corner of 4th & Main, 5'11, 169lbs, social security number 078-05-1120, pockets contained $2.09 in change, keys, and a condom. Retinal scan attached
- Me: Driving street view van
- You: George Herman "Babe" Ruth
- Me: Fellow Time Lord. Saw your Tardis on third moon of
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!