Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have an explanation for all 2240 xkcd comics,
and only 20
(1%) are incomplete. Help us finish them!
Go to this comic explanation
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by some |anomolous perfectly normal algae. Please mention here why this explanation isn't complete. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.
Megan is frustrated that a data error invalidates her research, which was ready for publication. Black Hat suggests two options: redo her analysis and share the correct results, trying to extract some value from the research; or, as our classic classhole says, she should destroy the evidence, build a superweapon and dominate the world. She seems excited about this idea, and proclaims that people should fear her algae, which would probably be her superweapon, but then she remembers that her first research was incorrect because of the data error, so they are merely normal algae.
In fact, destroying the evidence, hiding the error and publishing the wrong results as if they were right is what a dishonest scientist would do in such a situation. This is what a lot of readers would expect a dishonest character as Black Hat to suggest in panels two and three. However, the unexpected turn in mid of last panel changes leaves scientific misconduct to go to pure supervillain.
The title text refers to the Great Oxidation Event, when prokaryotic photosynthetic organisms built up oxygen in Earth's atmosphere for the first time and most organisms, which weren't adapted to oxygen, went extinct. That suggests that algae may be somehow dangerous - although cyanobacteria, which are colloquially referred to as "blue-green algae", are not considered to be true algae by many scientists, who restrict the term to eukaryotes.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- [Black Hat and Megan stand facing each other.]
- Megan: I can't believe this data error invalidates a year and a half of my research.
- Megan: I was about to publish.
[:Black Hat and Megan stand facing each other. Black Hat has his hands raised slightly]
- Black Hat: Don't panic. You have two options.
- Megan: Yeah?
- [Closeup shot of Black Hat holding one hand up.]
- Black Hat: 1) Redo your analysis and share whatever results you can, whether positive or negative. It's disappointing, but these things happen.
- [Zoom out on Black Hat and Megan. Black Hat has closed his fist. Megan holds her arms up in the air.]
- Black Hat: 2) Destroy the evidence. Use your materials and research methods to build a superweapon. Conquer Earth and rule with an iron fist.
- Megan: Tremble before my anomalously productive algae!
- Megan: Except the anomaly was an artifact.
- Megan: Tremble before my normal algae!
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people
contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined
. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- There are incomplete explanations listed here. Feel free to help out by expanding them!
- We sell advertising space to pay for our server costs. To learn more, go here.
Don't be a jerk.
There are a lot of comics that don't have set-in-stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to (and helping everyone better understand) xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited). Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, post a message to the Admin requests board.