Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have an explanation for all 2257 xkcd comics,
and only 27
(1%) are incomplete. Help us finish them!
Go to this comic explanation
|Bad Map Projection: South America|
Title text: The projection does a good job preserving both distance and azimuth, at the cost of really exaggerating how many South Americas there are.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a OOPS! ALL SOUTHAMERICABERRIES CEREAL BOX. Please mention here why this explanation isn't complete. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
The difference between projections.
This comic shows a map projection in which every continent and large island has just been replaced with a differently scaled and rotated version of the continent of South America. This is the third comic in the series of Bad Map Projections.
The comic is likely in reference to the bad map designs in which continents like Africa and South America have been swapped, or where someone will jokingly replace Greenland with South America.
The caption of the comic is a reference to the Cap'n Crunch cereal type that became a meme, Oops! All Berries.
Interestingly on the original South America, the archipelago or main island (hard to tell) of Tierra del Fuego is replaced with a small South America, while all other South Americas, including the one replacing the Tierra del Fuego, include it in their shape.
The title text claims that the map projection does a good job preserving distance and azimuth, the joke being that the distance and azimuth being preserved for the non-South America continents are those of South America and not the original continent. Note that while this is true for most of the larger landmasses, many of the smaller South Americas are distorted more significantly (such as the South Americas that replace New Zealand).
From roughly left to right and top to bottom, the South Americas replace:
- North America
- 3 SAs for the Canadian Arctic Archipelago (possibly Victoria Island, Ellesmere Island, and Baffin Island)
- Greenland // Denmark? Danish Realm?
- Great Britain, UK
- Newfoundland, Canada
- 2 SAs for Hokkaido and Honshu, Japan
- Hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti)
- Puerto Rico, US
- Sri Lanka
- 5 SAa for Luzon, Mindanao, and three others (possibly Negros Island, Samar, and Palawan), Philippines
- Sumatra, Indonesia
- Borneo (Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei)
- Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Java, Indonesia
- Tasmania, Australia
- 2 SAs for South Island and North Island, New Zealand
- Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego, Argentina and Chile
These are the 28 largest non-Antarctic land masses, plus 8 more islands.
See also related comics with map changes in comics 1500: Upside-Down Map and 1653: United States Map.
- [A map of the world, but every landmass has been replaced with South America, rotated and resized to roughly match the real landmasses they represent. South America is correct, except that the islands at the bottom of the continent also have been switch to a small South America.]
- [Caption below the panel:]
- Bad Map Projection #358: Oops, all South Americas!
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people
contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined
. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- There are incomplete explanations listed here. Feel free to help out by expanding them!
- We sell advertising space to pay for our server costs. To learn more, go here.
Don't be a jerk.
There are a lot of comics that don't have set-in-stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to (and helping everyone better understand) xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited). Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, post a message to the Admin requests board.