1554: Spice Girls
Title text: The Earth's five major mass extinctions were the Posh Extinction, the Sporty Extinction, the Scary Extinction, the Ginger Extinction, and the Baby Extinction.
Not to be confused with 1511: Spice Girl
- Posh Spice (Victoria Beckham)
- Sporty Spice (Melanie Chisholm)
- Scary Spice (Melanie Brown),
- Ginger Spice (Geri Halliwell)
- Baby Spice (Emma Bunton)
Instead, Megan winds up making up names by tacking "Spice" onto words from other, completely unrelated categories:
- First guess: The five human senses: Hearing, Vision, Smell, Touch, and Taste.
- Second guess: The five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance.
- Third guess: The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War, Famine, Plague, and Death.
- Fourth guess: Words that are phonetically similar to the actual names: Pog (Posh), Story (Sporty), Sarah (Scary), Gender (Ginger), and Baleen (Baby).
This seems to be a continuation of 1417: Seven, where Megan asks Cueball to name the seven dwarfs. Apparently Megan confuses different sets of five (or four when she is not trying) which may be compared to the way Cueball mixes items from different sets of seven, thus not mentioning a full set, but just seven items from seven different sets of seven.
The title text has the correct "first" names of the Spice Girls, but replaces the "Spice" part of their names with "Extinction" to associate them with Earth's five mass extinctions. The five actual worst mass extinctions are:
- The Ordovician-Silurian extinction,
- The Late Devonian extinction,
- The Permian-Triassic extinction,
- The End Triassic extinction, and
- The Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction.
Randall previously referenced the Spice Girls in 1511: Spice Girl (more specifically, using "Which Spice Girl Are You?" as an example of online personality quizzes). And already in the next comic 1555: Exoplanet Names 2 he suggest to give five exoplanets around the same star the five nicknames.
- Cueball: Your turn: Can you name all of the Spice Girls?
- Megan: Hmm… Hearing Spice, Vision Spice, Smell Spice, Touch Spice, Taste Spice?
- Cueball: That’s senses.
- Megan: Denial Spice, Anger Spice, Bargaining Spice, Depression Spice, Acceptance Spice.
- Cueball: Stages of grief.
- Megan: War Spice, Famine Spice, Plague Spice, Death Spice?
- Cueball: You're not even trying.
- Megan: No, wait, I can get this for real. Uhh…
- Megan: Pog Spice, Story Spice, Sarah Spice, Gender Spice, Baleen Spice?
- Cueball: …Close enough.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!