146: Join Myspace
Title text: I really shouldn't abuse that power so heavily.
This comic refers to the 1980s TV/comic series (and Greeting Card subjects) Care Bears, in which various cuddly bears in rainbow colors go on missions to save the world. The characters' ultimate weapon is the "Care Bear Stare," in which the Bears stand together and radiate light from their respective tummy symbols. These combine to form a ray of love and good cheer that could bring care and joy into the target's heart. Of course, Black Hat's carebearstare is far more lethal.
Myspace is a social networking site. Cueball is trying to convince Black Hat to create an account at this networking site, but Black Hat isn't interested. Then, when Black Hat gets annoyed by Cueball's persuasions, he activates his "carebearstare," thus overthrowing Cueball's request to be friends on myspace.
One possible explanation for Black Hat's odd choice of weaponry is that he is mocking Cueball. The phrase "Please? I'll friend you" sounds like an average pre-schooler's coaxing (along the lines of "Please? I'll be your friend!"). Therefore, Black Hat may feel that Cueball's remarks seem childish and deserve a childish backlash.
On a nostalgic note, considering the state of social media in the 2010s, Black Hat is just really good at foreshadowing.
In the title text, Black Hat reflects that he uses his carebearstare power too much, possibly as a form of apology to Cueball.
- [Cueball is talking to Black Hat.]
- Cueball: Dude, you should get on MySpace.
- Black Hat: Eh, I don't think so.
- Cueball: C'mon. There's no real reason not to except snobbiness. It's the new social scene.
- Black Hat: I know. I'm just not interested.
- Cueball: Please? I'll friend you.
- Black Hat: Carebearstare.
- Cueball: What?
- [Black Hat shoots a rainbow colored ray from his chest - the Care Bear Stare. It throws Cueball to the edge of the panel, pinned to the wall.]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!