Title text: Scientists are also sexy, let's not forget that.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: |
Please include the reason why this explanation is incomplete, like this:
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic is a reference to Young Earth Creationism, which includes the belief that the earth has only existed for about 6,000 years. Young Earth Creationism is mainly based on literal interpretations of the Bible, which is frowned upon by most Bible scholars, to say nothing of empirical scientists.
The professor is originally not bothered by the fact that someone believes in Young Earth Creationism, since the person believing it is, to her, a nut who can be easily forgotten because the nut is denying obvious truths. However, she then hears that the nut is actually a US senator. Someone with considerable influence (like a Senator) can spread their false, zany beliefs and perhaps even be taken seriously due to their authority, which means that a senator believes in Young Earth Creationism would be therefore unsettling.
The comment on the fossils refers to how fossils of living beings of the deep sea appear on top of mountains. In the Bible, there is a story of a flood that drowned the entire Earth because mankind in general became too evil. Fortunately, God found that Noah was the only one in Earth who was not evil and, in fact, actually followed God. This resulted in God commanding Noah to build an ark (a type of boat that would not sail anywhere, but would stay steady during rough waters) that would accommodate Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives, two of every unclean animal and seven of every clean animal. (A "clean" animal is fit to eat under Jewish tradition.) After a very long rain†, another year in which the waters evaporated, and a couple of times where Noah checked if there was any dry land, Noah repopulated the Earth.‡ According to Young Earth Creationists, this flood is the reason why sealife has fossils on top of mountains: the Earth essentially became one big ocean to where sea animals can swim anywhere, even the then-underwater mountains.
† = The Bible says that the rain lasted "forty days and forty nights". However, ["forty days and forty nights" is a mere expression that means "a very long time"].
‡ = The entire story can be [read here] from Chapter 6 to 9.
- [Megan and a professor stand together, with another figure in the distance.]
- Megan: Professor, that man claims the earth is 6,000 years old!
- Professor: So? Just use your head and don't concern yourself overmuch with what other people think.
- Megan: But he says the fossils in the mountains were put there in a flood!
- Professor: Well, evidence suggests that they were not.
- Megan: But he--
- [A mountain landscape.]
- Professor: A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them.
- [Megan and professor again.]
- Megan: But he believes the silliest things!
- Professor: So?
- Professor: The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes.
- Megan: But he's a US Senator!
- Professor: Ah, then yes, we do have a bit of a situation.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!