Title text: "Upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Flash player to view THIS content, bitch." ::triggers detonator::
In this comic, Randall presents a series of phrases, ordered by how likely they are to be used as a one-liner by a character in an action movie. One-liners are short, punchy phrases, typically witty or funny, and are routinely used in films by the antagonist to taunt the protagonist (or vice versa). The perfect one-liner leaves the recipient at a loss for a comeback, and should make sense immediately. If the phrase doesn't make sense or has to be explained, the effect is lost.
The phrases shown adhere to the witty and punchy stereotype of a classical one-liner, but quickly become more niche and only understandable for an informed subgroup.
- You're going down the memory hole now, asshole.
- The Memory hole is a mechanism for redacting documents, photographs, etc., and a reference to George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. In this instance it implies that the character on the floor is about to be 'erased' from existence.
- Hey! You forgot to carry the two.
- Cueball, who appears to be at an advantage since he has a gun and his opponent only has a knife, is pointing out an arithmetic error in his opponent's calculations. This may simply be Cueball adding insult to injury "I'm about to shoot you, but first I'm going to point out that you suck at math". Alternatively, it could be a ruse to distract the knife wielding opponent, or a case of well-timed nerd-sniping. It could also be that Cueball is buying time to cock or reload his gun.
- Looks like the Fed just lowered the interest rate.
- Ponytail is standing on a desk with documents on it, probably in a banking or business related environment, dominating Cueball in a sword fight. The Federal Reserve System, usually referred to as The Fed, is the central banking system in the United States. The interest rates are usually lowered during a recession or a crisis, to revive the economy by providing businesses with cheap money. The dropped rates correlate with his chances to win and reflect his troubled situation.
- Guess you should've scrolled all the way to the bottom before clicking "Agree."
- A common feature encountered when registering for user accounts or installing software is a very lengthy Terms of service document, describing the things you agree to abide by. The vast majority of people simply click Agree without reading the document, essentially agreeing to anything and everything that the author decided to include, which sometimes leads to things like giving your immortal soul to a company. In the context of this panel, perhaps the user agreed to be executed at random.
- Bangarang, motherfucker.
- This phrase is very similar to the line "Yippee-Ki-Yay motherfucker" used by John McClane in the Die Hard series. Bangarang is, among other things, the Jamaican word for "uproar." It was popularized (without the addition of 'motherfucker') as the cheer of the lost boys in the film Hook.
The title text is another suggested one-liner phrase, referring to an update reminder that frequently pops up when one attempts to view visual media content on a webpage. After delivering the line, the character triggers a detonator (Double colons are sometimes used in text to denote an action), presumably setting off an explosive of some kind. The phrase states that you need the latest Adobe Flash player to view this (presumably for older flash players too spectacular) explosion. Also wordplay is involved since a "flash" is one visual representation of a explosion. Of course in real life one doesn't need a "flash player" to view an explosion.
- Probability of phrases becoming action movie one liners:
- [Panels are arranged from More Likely on the left to Less likely on the right.]
- [A woman points a gun down at Cueball who is on the floor, his gun just out of reach.]
- Woman: You're going down the memory hole now, asshole.
- [Man on ground points gun up at blade-armed man standing next to a board with science on it.]
- Man with gun: Hey! You forgot to carry the two.
- [Ponytail on desk points sword at man standing on floor.]
- Ponytail: Looks like the Fed just lowered the interest rate.
- [Cueball with gun looks down at Megan slumped on floor.]
- Cueball: Guess you should've scrolled all the way to the bottom before clicking "Agree."
- [Megan holds pistol to the back of the head of Ponytail holding a rifle.]
- Megan with pistol: Bangarang, motherfucker.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!