Title text: This is a story all about how I started drinking.
A Bel-Air is an internet meme where a poster on a message board starts a post on a serious topic, but partway through the post switches to reciting the lyrics to the opening theme song of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, a 1990s sitcom starring Will Smith (previously known in his rapping career as the "Fresh Prince") as a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who has been sent to live with his affluent and stuffy Aunt and Uncle in Bel Air, Los Angeles by his mother as a consequence of a single altercation with a couple of no-good guys who were making trouble in his previous neighbourhood.
Megan in the comic reverses the traditional arrangement by starting the conversation with a recitation of the lyrics to said theme song, and then switching partway through to a very serious discussion of the status of their relationship culminating in a break-up.
The lyrics go like this:
- Now this is the story all about how
- My life got flipped, turned upside down
- And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
- I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-air
The title RBA is an acronym for Reverse Bel-Air.
The title text is also an RBA, but one that diverges from the song lyrics much more quickly. It's a play on the phrase "started drinking." This phrase usually refers to someone becoming an alcoholic (in this case, it would be because of the break-up), but in this case refers to the actual fact that Cueball had just started drinking (a glass of water) when Megan started talking to him.
A similar (though less serious) play on the Bel-Air meme was later used in 1059: Bel-Air.
- [Megan walks up to Cueball pouring himself a drink.]
- Megan: Now, this is a story all about how
- Megan: My life got flipped turned upside down
- Megan: And I'd like to take a minute
- Megan: Just sit right there
- Megan: I'll tell you how I became uncertain about our relationship. I think you just like having a girlfriend, it doesn't matter who.
- Megan: I think we should break up.
- The reverse Bel-Air only works once, so make it something unforgettable.
- [Cut to a dropped glass, the drink spilled on the ground.]
- Cueball: ...wait, seriously?
- Megan: Yeah.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!