Title text: This is a story all about how I started drinking.
A Bel-Air is an internet meme where a poster on a message board starts a post on a serious topic, but partway through the post switches to reciting the lyrics to the opening theme song of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, a 1990s sitcom starring Will Smith (previously known in his rapping career as the "Fresh Prince") as a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who has been sent to live with his affluent and stuffy Aunt and Uncle in Bel Air, Los Angeles by his mother as a consequence of a single altercation with a couple of no-good guys who were making trouble in his previous neighbourhood.
Megan in the comic reverses the traditional arrangement by starting the conversation with a recitation of the lyrics to said theme song, and then switching partway through to a very serious discussion of the status of their relationship culminating in a break up.
The lyrics go like this:
- Now this is the story all about how
- My life got flipped, turned upside down
- And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
- I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-air
The title RBA is an initialism for Reverse Bel-Air.
The title text is also an RBA, but one which diverges from the song lyrics much more quickly. It's a play on the phrase "started drinking." This phrase usually refers to someone becoming an alcoholic (in this case, it would be because of the breakup), but in this case refers to the actual fact that Cueball had just started drinking (a glass of water) when Megan started talking to him.
A similar (though less serious) play on the Bel-Air meme was later used in 1059: Bel-Air.
- [Megan walks up to Cueball pouring himself a drink.]
- Megan: Now, this is a story all about how
- Megan: My life got flipped turned upside down
- Megan: And I'd like to take a minute
- Megan: Just sit right there
- Megan: I'll tell you how I became uncertain about our relationship. I think you just like having a girlfriend, it doesn't matter who.
- Megan: I think we should break up.
- The reverse Bel-Air only works once, so make it something unforgettable.
- [Cut to dropped glass, drink spilled on ground.]
- Cueball: ...wait, seriously?
- Megan: Yeah.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!