Title text: This scavenger hunt is getting boring. Let's go work on the treehouse!
Cueball and Megan run away from Cueball's two friends when they are very young. They fall in love, get married, and grow old together. At the end he leaves his wife - without saying goodbye or explaining why he leaves. He returns to the same place where he left his two friends that has been waiting on him with the list they also had in the first picture. And we finally learn, that being happy was just another thing crossed off Cueball's list of what is presumably the longest-duration scavenger hunt of all-time, considering Cueball grew quite old before ever completing that step on the list. And when he did - he just got up and left his lifelong wife... Because now he was ready for the next item on the list.
The title of the comic is probably a reference to the saying that you find happiness together with your loved ones. So after finding a penny and a snake skin he had to get married and old to be able to find happiness. Next he needs to find a Four-leaf clover and a shark tooth to continue the hunt.
The treehouse reference in the title text is another example of a common childhood activity. Naturally, the intended mental image is a bunch of old men building a treehouse and living and playing in it like six year olds. And also typical for children to tire of a game before it is finished. Except here he already spend a lifetime on just one point!
- Cueball and Megan are running in a field, holding hands. Another male and female stand in the background, next to a table.]
- [Cueball and Megan are in a boat on a lake, very romantic. Cueball is speaking to Megan, illustrated with a heart.]
- [Cueball and Megan sit together on a bench on a beach, watching the sunset.]
- [Cueball and Megan stand at an altar. They have married.]
- [Cueball and Megan, having grown old together, sit together on their doorstep, holding hands.]
- [Cueball begins walking away with his cane.]
- Megan: Dear? Where are you--Come back!
- Cueball approaches the other couple from the first panel, who are now just as old.]
- [Cueball picks up a piece of paper from the table in the first panel and begins to write.]
- Cueball: Okay,
- [The paper is shown: a scavenger hunt list. "Happiness"; has just been checked off.]
- Cueball: What's next?
- [Full list:
- SCAVENGER HUNT:
- [X] Indian-head penny
- [X] Snake skin
- [X] Happiness
- [ ] Four-leaf clover
- [ ] Shark tooth
- [The next item is blocked by the speech balloon.] What's next?
- This is also referenced in 212: Brain as something Randall really wants to do.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!