Megan tells her boyfriend (Hairy) her reservations about their relationship: she's happy with him, she thinks he doesn't compare to anyone else, and they have a strong connection built up over the course of years, but she's worried that all this is just because they've been dating so long that she hasn't had the opportunity to experience potentially better relationships. However, she recognizes that what she has should be enough, and resolves to stop worrying. Hairy responds to this by saying that he doesn't even like her, recognizing that it's relatively poor timing to say so after her expression of love (albeit a rather ambivalent one).
The title text is a sad-face emoticon, representing either Megan's sadness about his dislike of her, his (possibly disingenuous) sympathy for her, or the narrator's recognition that he's depicted a sad situation.
- [Hairy and Megan are talking]
- Megan: I worry that I'm just with you because it's familiar. Of course no one else compares. I've known you for so long that I'd have to spend years with someone to build up this kind of connection and I daren't let you go of you long enough to let that happen.
- Megan: But I guess this is really all I can ask for. I'm happy with you; I should stop worrying.
- [Megan takes Hairy's hand.]
- Hairy: This is probably a bad time to bring this up, but I don't actually like you.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
What do you reckon is missing from the explanation? ––St.nerol (talk) 14:26, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
- I'm running through the first comics and when I feel that something is missing it just gets the incomplete tag. Everyone is welcome to fix and remove this tag. The most worse error here was :) instead of :(.--Dgbrt (talk) 15:22, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
- The happy smiley was after the sentence dryly explaining the fairly obvious thing that a sad smiley means sadness. It was totally intentional, meant as a joke, funny or not! It could have been ;) though. –St.nerol (talk) 07:55, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
- The title text shows :( not more or less. If you have ideas beyond of this explain it, but do not change the original text.--Dgbrt (talk) 20:14, 7 July 2013 (UTC)
- This is confused. How do you mean, I changed the original text? –St.nerol (talk) 09:36, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- Go here: [], you did change the ":(" to ";)" and a few edits before you did ":)". I just did edit this to the correct sadness symbol. When Randall talks about apples you can't explain bananas.--Dgbrt (talk) 10:44, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- I'm removing the sentence. It was just a joke, but it wasn't appreciated. :( ––St.nerol (talk) 19:19, 21 July 2013 (UTC)
- What the hell you are doing? We need an explain for the title text, even when it's simple.--Dgbrt (talk) 19:32, 21 July 2013 (UTC)
- No. You don't need to explain what a smiley is. Everybody knows. Especially on the internet. There's got to be a limit; we don't, for example, explain the meaning of common english words. –St.nerol (talk) 08:18, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
- *worst, not 'most worst'. :) Beanie (talk) 14:17, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
Is this the shortest title text? Fabian42 (talk) 10:56, 11 June 2018 (UTC)
- If you don't count comics without any title text at all, then yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. SuperSupermario24 06:32, 1 June 2019 (UTC)
Anyone else notice the comic is rotated 90 degrees clockwise for them on the xkcd website? I’m using Safari on an iPhone. -- 18.104.22.168 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- It's fine in Chrome on Android and Debian. Fabian42 (talk) 01:13, 12 May 2019 (UTC)
- Exif.Image.Orientation is set to rotate the image. 22.214.171.124 21:10, 13 February 2020 (UTC)
- Also rotated in Chrome on Mac as of May 2020
- As well as for Chrome on PC as of July 2020.Blueshoes317 (talk) 16:26, 3 July 2020 (UTC)
- Currently not rotated in Firefox on Debian. ExcarnateSojourner (talk) 02:47, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Rotated in Firefox on Ubuntu as of September 2020. LegionMammal978 (talk) 18:37, 24 September 2020 (UTC)
- Yeah, I was actually coming here to see if anyone else was getting the same problem. Thexkcdnerd (talk) 08:59, 26 January 2023 (UTC)
- Rotated in Chrome on a Chromebook as of March 20, 2020. Sarah the Pie(yes, the food) (talk) 17:45,
20 March 2021 (UTC)
As of 2021 it is roatated on chrome on iPad
2021-12-08, rotated on Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop. 126.96.36.199 15:18, 8 December 2021 (UTC)
2022-Mar-09, rotated on Edge on a Windows 10 PC.
2022-May-26, rotated on Chrome on a Chromebook running Chrome OS 101. KirbyDude25 (talk) 14:04, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
2022-Jun-12, rotated on Opera on a Windows 10 laptop.
2022-Sep-6, not rotated on Web/Epiphany on Ubuntu. - JuL
2022-Dec-1, rotated on Chrome in Android. -DM
2023-Jan-6th, rotated on Chrome on Mac -RIG
2023-Jan-6th, rotated on safari on iPad 4 188.8.131.52 03:30, 7 January 2023 (UTC)