155: Search History
Title text: SomethingAwful has a wonderful compilation of crazy AOL searches in their Weekend Web archives, 2006-08-13.
The comic references the AOL search data leak, where users had potentially identifying and embarrassing search histories published. Randall thus publishes his own potentially embarrassing searches. All of his searches relate to his fear of dinosaurs, mainly velociraptors, as a consequence of Jurassic Park. The search "Utahraptor" may be a reference to Dinosaur Comics, which XKCD has parodied in 145: Parody Week: Dinosaur Comics. Alternatively, "Utahraptor" may be referenced because the raptors portrayed in Jurassic Park were much more like utahraptors than velociraptors in terms of size.
- Cueball: In solidarity with the many AOL users whose often embarrassing web searches were released to the public, I offer a sample of my own search history:
- [There is a screencap of Google's front page with the following entries suggested for autocompletion below the search box:]
- site:imdb.com "jurassic park"
- "home depot" deadbolts
- security home improvement
- surviving a raptor attack
- robert bakker paleontologist
- robert bakker "possible raptor sympathizer"
- site:en.wikipedia.org surviving a raptor attack
- learning from mistakes in jurassic park
- big-game rifles
- tire irons
- treating raptor wounds
- do raptors fear fire
- how to make a molotov cocktail
- do raptors fear death
- can raptors pick locks
- how to tell if my neighbors are raptors
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!