2656: Scientific Field Prefixes
|Scientific Field Prefixes|
Title text: Massage: Theoretical (10), Quantum (6), High-energy (2), Computational (1), Marine (1), Astro- (None)
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a Quantum Dentist - Fill in this table with explanations. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Randall searches for various terms that are composed of some common prefixes and common suffixes, but not always commonly associated with each other in each possible combination, and tabulates the results. See this table with numbers for easy overview.
This reveals some very commonly used full terms like "Theoretical Physics", the most discovered, which represents almost four million hits compared to the next highest, "Computational Biology", with almost 3 million hits and Astrophysics with 2 million hits. Ducking just below 1 million hits is fourth placing Marine Biology. Of the 42 possible fields just 14 have more than 100,000 hits, and only four more have over 10,000.
But there are also some that have much lower numbers, eight with fewer than 10 hits in the table. "High-Energy Psychology" and "Marine Dentistry" have just one apparent occurrence each (equivalent to a Googlewhack), whilst there are no hits at all recorded for four of the initially combined terms. In total (with the title text) there are 48 fields, see a full list of scientific fields below.
An explanation for both existing and fictive scientific fields can be given below in the table with explanations.
In the caption to the table Randall list four potential research opportunities i.e. those with no hits in the table: Quantum Dentistry, High-Energy Dentistry, Astrodentistry, and High-Energy Theology
He thus suggests that, because of the (apparent) lack of current studies in these specialized sub-fields, there may be unexplored potential for a study. This could be that the more "used" areas have far too much competition and be might already be "used up" for potentially useful discoveries. (This does not account for how much 'study space' might be available in a given box of research, even though Randall has previously hinted that anything "Astro"-related is potentially full of many things to study.) Of course the real reason for no one studying these fields are that they make no sense. Dentistry is related to fixing peoples teeth. The quantum world has no effect on human teeth, and high-energy bombardment of a human's mouth may also be a bit dangerous (although x-rays and radiation treatment in the mouth could be seen as high energy). Astrodentistry is not really relevant if seeing this as something used on humans. Of course astronauts might need dentistry while in space, but it would be a stretch to call the study of dentistry in zero-G, "astrodentistry". "High-energy Theology" as a term, seems more likely to have been used...
In the title text Randall lists the figures for another 'major' field suffix, Massage, and the numbers of its prefixed forms. From this, we learn that Astromassage is another 'open' field that is currently unstudied, but none of the five others have more than 10. Actually the most surprising aspect of the title text is that there are hits for both quantum massage and high-energy massage... Massage has been added to the tables below and the list of fields.
Table with numbers
- Here the table is presented with only numbers, so it can be sorted.
- Massage from the title text has been added.
List of Scientific fields
This is included for easy reading of the numbers:
- Theoretical Physics: 3,990,000
- Theoretical Chemistry: 445,000
- Theoretical Biology: 553,000
- Theoretical Engineering: 2,460
- Theoretical Psychology: 15,500
- Theoretical Theology: 726
- Theoretical Dentistry: 41
- Theoretical Massage: 10
- Quantum Physics: 478,000
- Quantum Chemistry: 740,000
- Quantum Biology: 7,620
- Quantum Engineering: 21,100
- Quantum Psychology: 699
- Quantum Theology: 447
- Quantum Dentistry: None
- Quantum Massage: 6
- 5 of these are objections to pseudoscientific healing nonsense. The last is from a Dutch medical text in which one sentence ends with "quantum" and the next begins with "massage", published in 1895 and having nothing to do with quantum mechanics.
- High-Energy Physics: 844,000
- High-Energy Chemistry: 9,600
- High-Energy Biology: 3
- Two of these are for the same conference proceedings about use of accelerators in biological research. The third is from an article which mentions a list of research areas: "extensive programs in chemistry, physics (other than high energy), biology".
- High-Energy Engineering: 119
- High-Energy Psychology: 1
- Job ad from October 31st, 2001, asking for "high energy psychology, speech pathology or special education majors to work with our mildly autistic son"
- High-Energy Theology: None
- High-Energy Dentistry: None
- High-Energy Massage: 2
- Computational Physics: 510,000
- Computational Chemistry: 599,000
- Computational Biology: 2,910,000
- Computational Engineering: 67,400
- Computational Psychology: 4,620
- Computational Theology: 40
- Computational Dentistry: 11
- Computational Massage: 1
- This is an article about modular wearable electronic devices, in the form of clothing, which provide massage.
- Marine Physics: 3,920
- Marine Chemistry: 136,000
- Marine Biology: 945,000
- Marine Engineering: 108,000
- Marine Psychology: 35
- Marine Theology: 6
- Marine Dentistry: 1
- The paper mentions the application of something in "Transportation, Marine, Dentistry, Electronics" and other fields
- Marine Massage: 1
- Article in "Professional Beauty" of 2021, mentioning "An exceptional massage technique with the professional-only Oligo-Marine Massage Cream includes smoothing, relaxing and stretching movements for total relaxation and optimal skin"
- Astrophysics: 2,010,000
- Astrochemistry: 20,600
- Astrobiology: 226,000
- Astroengineering: 430
- Astropsychology: 64
- Astrotheology: 580
- Astrodentistry: None
- Astromassage: None
Table with explanations
- Here all 48 fields can be explained in a table:
|Field||Number of Searches||Explanation of field|
|Theoretical Physics||3990000||Theoretical Physics is a whole field in itself, with journals made only for that type of physics. Also the one with by far most hits.|
|Theoretical Massage||10||Theoretical Massage is not a real scientific field, but rather the theory about it, in contrast to the practical application of massage. This term is most likely to be used in the context of learning or studying massages, for example during the process of becoming a massage therapist. Alternatively this term could refer to the studying of the masses of matter, (or its massage if you will). This would make it a field of physics.|
|Quantum Physics||478000||As with Theoretical Physics, above, Quantum Physics is an entire field within itself.|
|Quantum Chemistry||740000||A field within chemistry, quantum chemistry is the study of how quantum-level effects extrapolate to chemical properties, such as the shape of electron orbitals.|
|Computational Physics||510000||The field of using computational models to simulate physical systems. Such models are commonly used in both theoretical and applied physics, hence the large number of hits.|
|Computational Chemistry||599000||The field of using computational models to simulate chemical systems. Commonly used in the field of theoretical chemistry.|
- [A table is drawn with seven columns and six rows. Above each column and to the left of each row there is a label. All 42 fields are filled out with a number, except when the number is 0, then is says none in a red font. Above the table there is a large header:]
- Number of search results on Google Scholar
Physics Chemistry Biology Engineering Psychology Theology Dentistry Theoretical 3,990,000 445,000 553,000 2,460 15,500 726 41 Quantum 478,000 740,000 7,620 21,100 699 447 None
High-Energy 844,000 9,600 3 119 1 None
Computational 510,000 599,000 2,910,000 67,400 4,620 40 11 Marine 3,920 136,000 945,000 108,000 35 6 1 Astro- 2,010,000 20,600 226,000 430 64 580 None
- [Caption below the panel:]
- Potential research opportunities: Quantum Dentistry, High-Energy Dentistry, Astrodentistry, and High-Energy Theology
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!