Title text: Opening dialogue by Scott
Megan has taken the increasingly unusual choice of pursuing a career as a lighthouse operator, a path that has become increasingly less traveled, as lighthouses have become ever more automated and supplanted by other solutions. Before GPS technology, lighthouses were invaluable markers of where dangers to marine navigation, such as shallow reefs or coastal headlands, were located. Megan likes the idea of subverting the trope of the helpless maid in the tower who needs saving, by helping to save seafarers by operating a lighthouse that helps them to find their way safely back home.
When it comes to her turn to answer her own question, Blondie answers that she plans to pursue postgraduate education, but admits that she has no purpose for doing so. After obtaining an undergraduate/bachelor's degree, graduate school is the next level of education, where students pursue a master's or doctoral degree. Augmenting one's education with post-graduate studies is a conventional career path, and would imply that the student has a definite plan for their career, yet some people may attend grad school only because it is conventional, without having any definite plan for their career. This appears to be the case for Blondie, contrasted with Megan's choice of a seemingly blue collar/unskilled career — one might expect such a career to indicate someone who has no specific career plan, yet Megan seems to know her exact purpose, unlike Blondie. The fact that Blondie then accepts an invitation to spend her breaks at Megan's lighthouse suggests that she finds this a more attractive prospect than her more conventional path.
As there already was a comic released on Monday that week, the first of these three was released on Tuesday, then Wednesday and Friday. This may be related to the fact that this was the first week where the comics were not also released on LiveJournal.
- [Megan and Blondie are talking.]
- Blondie: What do you want to do when you graduate?
- Megan: I want to become a lighthouse operator.
- Blondie: Oh?
- Megan: Yeah.
- [Cut to scene of lighthouse with text overlaid.]
- Megan: Lighthouses are built on interesting pieces of coast, so I'll have an interesting place to walk and swim, and great views of all kinds of weather. I'd feel good about myself and my work every single day.
- [Cut back to the two girls.]
- Megan: I'd get to be the girl in the tower, only I'd be the one rescuing people.
- Megan: Why, what do you want to do?
- Blondie: I'm going to grad school. I don't really know why.
- Megan: Wanna come hang in my lighthouse over breaks?
- Blondie: ...yeah.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!