31: Barrel - Part 5
|Barrel - Part 5|
Title text: Too good not to happen.
This gives a happy ending to the Barrel series. The flying ferret is from 20: Ferret. The humor is derived from the juxtaposition of two unlike elements - in this case, the contemplative and even dark nature of the Barrel series being resolved through the timely intervention of a comical flying mammal.
Said mammal could also be interpreted as a symbol of hope and following your dreams, seeing as in its original appearance, its powers of flight were just that: a dream. However, the dream becomes reality to save a child from an endless sea of hopelessness.
Somewhere between the release of the first ferret comic in October 2005 and the re-release of that comic (and all the other from LiveJournal in 2005) on New Year's Day 2006 on the new xkcd site, Randall's brother's ferret died - as given by the new RIP comment in the title text. The sad comment in the title text of 25: Barrel - Part 4, ":(", possibly implying harm to the boy, along with this RIP comment, may imply that the boy has died and joined the ferret (in flying to Heaven). However, this line of reasoning only makes sense if the ferret actually died before the release of both the Part 4 comic at the end of October and this comic, which was released in the middle of November 2005, 1½ months before the new title text was made public.
This is the last in a six-part series of comics whose parts were randomly published during the first several dozen strips. The series features a character who is not consistent with what would quickly become the xkcd stick figure style. The character was in a barrel in parts 1-3.
The full series can be found here. But below they are listed in the order Randall has put them in his collection, linked to above:
- 1: Barrel - Part 1
- 20: Ferret
- 11: Barrel - Part 2
- 22: Barrel - Part 3
- 25: Barrel - Part 4
- 31: Barrel - Part 5
- [Boy floating on piece of driftwood in ocean.]
- [Zoomed out view of boy floating on piece of driftwood in ocean.]
- [Ferret with airplane wings and tail above the ocean.]
- [The empty ocean.]
- [Flying ferret carrying the boy to safety.]
- [Ocean with ferret carrying boy in distance, sun on the horizon.]
- This was the 33rd comic originally posted to LiveJournal.
- This comic kept its original title: "Barrel - Part 5"
- Original Randall quote: "The ferret got to fly, in the end!"
- The link took the reader to the first ferret comic.
- This comic was posted on xkcd when the web site opened on Sunday the 1st of January 2006.
- It was posted along with all 41 comics posted before that on LiveJournal as well as a few others.
- The latter explaining why the numbers of these 41 LiveJournal comics ranges from 1-44.
- One of the original drawings drawn on checkered paper.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!